Saturday, January 25, 2014

Heart Broken

On October 4 of 2013, Avonte Oquendo, a 14 year old with autism somehow was able to walk out of his classroom and his school in Long Island, New York.  This week his remains were found on a beach in New York.

Overwhelming sad for anyone who know anyone with autism.

While we can't begin to fathom the deep saddness his family is experiencing, we all experience some of their saddness this week.

We know that their story could be our story.

We know that autism can be so heart wrenching.

We know a portion of their pain.

And I get angry...

How can a student with autism in a class of 10 with three adult teachers, just get away?

How can they let that happen?

How can a security guard not stop a child with autism from not leaving the school?

How can they let that happen?

How can they wait an hour and a half before contacting the mom?

How?

And I get anxious.....

That anxiety that surfaces every so often...

When I send my Jared out into the world and hope.... pray.... trust.... that others are watching out for him.  That they are taking care of him in those hours when I am not there.

Their story could be our story.

No parent should ever have to go through this....
I have prayed for this family this week.
I don't exactly know what I am praying for for them, but they have been in my prayers.
I know their heart is broken, and I weep for them.
My heart is broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment